Movie-industry veteran David Gati has compiled and edited a humorous and insightful look at Smith’s nearly 30-year filmmaking journey. Through Smith’s own funny, honest, and uncensored stories–taken from podcasts, Q&As, and documentaries–readers get to know him as a person, the struggles he’s been through, and the people he’s worked with, as well as his process for writing, directing, casting, shooting, editing, and showing his films to the public.
- The book is arranged chronologically with each chapter exploring how an aspect of Kevin’s life is reflected in one of his 14 films.
- Not to be overlooked is Smith’s outsized fan base, who relate to the director’s down-to-earth persona and his geeky, sometimes juvenile, often-nostalgic regular-person characters. Gati uses their fan art to add a visual facet to the book’s colorful narrative gems.
- Rounding out this scrapbook presentation are on-set stills, candid personal photos, and memorabilia.
The result is an exploration of how films affect and reflect the popular culture of their time, with a light-hearted analysis of the phenomenon of fandom. This unusual biography is a must-have collectible dedicated to a member of the ’90s independent filmmakers–which includes Quentin Tarantino, Allison Anders, Robert Rodriguez, Hal Hartley, and Spike Lee–whose relevance and popularity will only continue to grow.
- Publisher : Schiffer
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 200 pages
- ISBN-10 : 076436393X
- ISBN-13 : 978-0764363931
- Item Weight : 2.75 pounds
- Dimensions : 11.8 x 1.7 x 8.2 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #1,253,874 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #311 in Individual Directors
- #497 in Movie Director Biographies
- #10,402 in Actor & Entertainer Biographies
Be the first to review “Kevin Smith: His Films and Fans Hardcover – 2023 by David Gati”